Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Reflections on Codlea by Melanie Gray

Recently, FFR has been blessed with the opportunity to be able to go into the handicap orphanage in Codlea in order to serve the children that live there. We are equally blessed by the short and long term volunteers that have given their time to be with these kids, if only for a few hours a day. Melanie Gray is a returning, short term volunteer who has a such a heart for all of the children we work with in Romania - but especially in Codlea.


In December 2014 I worked in Codlea orphanage for disabled children as a volunteer for the first time. Last week, I returned. I'm not sure that I have the words to describe my thoughts and feelings but I'll try! Always keep in mind that I'm a short term visitor and this is just a 'snapshot' of what I’ve seen.

There are approximately 40 children in the orphanage. They range from babies about 1 year old to young people aged 17. Most of the children have profound and multiple disabilities. These children will live here until they are 18. There is also a small but lively group of toddlers with medical needs rather than disabilities who will move on. The children are grouped in small rooms by age and they are cared for by a small group of friendly staff who it has been a pleasure to get to know. As a special needs teacher in the UK I'm used to working with children with disabilities. However, Romania is a much poorer country and some of the sights - such as a girl with hydrocephalus (a large head due to fluid on the brain) and lots of children with wasted muscles unable to move at all - shocked me.
Medical interventions and daily physiotherapy can’t be taken for granted here. Now, I tend not to notice differences - I just see the child in front of me with their own personality!

One likes to be tickled, another likes throwing a ball and another rough and tumble. We stroke hands, sing gently, try a gentle massage. Other volunteers like Erin, an OT from Canada, do some gentle stretches. Holly, a pre-school teacher from America shares a drawing. It's a real privilege for me to be able to sit quietly alongside someone with severe disabilities simply enjoying their company.

Sometimes too, I really seem to bond with a child and we share some intense mutual face to face studying! It may not sound much but it's a heart language and I feel so blessed to be here. The children have grown since December; some have made progress sitting and standing. Yes, it would be great if the children had access to daily physiotherapy, communication and self-help programs. More staff and volunteers with time to interact, nurture and care would be wonderful. Each child having a family would be fantastic. But I can see progress since December and that can only be good!

If you are interested in volunteering in Codlea, please email mail@firmfoundationsromania for more information.

No comments:

Post a Comment