Tuesday, July 7, 2015

SPOTLIGHT on Katie Greiner

You've all read about the projects, the kids, the hospital and life in Romania. Now it's time for you to read about us! That's right, we asked the staff of FFR a series of questions so that our friends and supporters could know a bit more about us. Next up is Katie Greiner - donations master and expert baby cuddler, offering the yummiest baked goods to FFR long and short term volunteers alike!

How long have you been in Romania? 
Since March 2011

Where are you from originally? 
Eveleth, Minnesota

What brought you to Romania? How did you start working with FFR? 
I had always wanted to work with babies and children, especially those who have been orphaned, abandoned, neglected, or are just in need of love. God started calling my heart towards Romania when I was in my teens, but at that time I had no idea where to begin or how He was going to bring that about. I found FFR while Googling different organizations in Romania and came out to Brasov in the fall of 2010 to volunteer for 2 months. On that 1st day with the babies in the hospital, I knew that this was exactly where God wanted me and that this would be my 2nd home. I finished out those 2 months, went back to MN and started making plans, and returned to Brasov 4 months later. I was originally just going to stay in Romania for 1 year, but 4 years later this is still my home and I can’t imagine leaving yet ☺.

What’s your favorite FFR project and why? 
It is a close tie between the hospital and Kids Club. 
Hospital – for the chance to love and take care of the babies and toddlers, be there to comfort and make them smile and laugh. It is still amazing and beautiful to me the difference it makes that we can be there for them. 
Kids Club – watching these kids learn and grow and hear about Jesus is such a joy and the highlight of each week for me. Also seeing some of the kids that I knew from the hospital as babies and now as 4 and 5 year olds in our group is very special. I love that we are still able to have this contact with these little ones and their families and continue to be a part of and make a difference in their lives.

What’s one thing from “home” that you miss? 
Going to church without a language barrier. I can understand most of what is said, but speaking still doesn’t come fluently to me.

If there was one food or drink that you could bring to a Romanian grocery store, what would it be?
Peanut butter M&Ms ☺

Where’s your favorite vacation spot in Romania? Outside of Romania? 
Inside of Romania would be Peştera and the surrounding area. Beautiful hills and mountains and breathtaking landscape. I haven’t travelled much outside of Romania, but at this point Taormina, Sicily is at the top of the list.

If legality, finances and logistics weren’t an issue, what’s one project you would love to see FFR start? 
An emergency placement center or something along that line.

If you had to pick a Romanian name for yourself, what would it be? 
Luminiṭa

What’s your favorite traditional Romanian dish? 
Sarmale

Approximately, how many diapers would you say you’ve changed in the Brasov Children’s Hospital?
3,674… give or take a few ☺

If you could spend the day with anyone in the world, living or dead, who would it be? 
Mother Teresa

Who is your hero? Why? 
Corrie Ten Boom. Her stories and how God used her amazes and encourages me every time I read anything about her.

What about the Roma people inspires you to continue working with FFR? 
The way that our Kids Club and After School kids greet us with such bright smiles and big hugs each time they see us, no matter what kind of home or life they are coming from. I love being a part of their lives and seeing the difference that is being made and how far they have come.

If you were granted one wish, what would that wish be? 
To be able to adopt and be a mother to at least one of the babies I have fallen in love with here in the Children’s Hospital.

No comments:

Post a Comment